Emre Gurgen’s Academic and Legal CV
(Press Play to Listen to “Tiddly Wink” Music That Ayn Rand Liked)
Research and Teaching Interests
1) Objectivist Philosophy in The Fountainhead.
2) Comparative literature, philosophy, and modern objectivist thought.
3) 19th century British Literature. Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice.
Gurgen, Emre. Critical Essays on Ayn Rand’s the Fountainhead.
Illinois, Authorhouse, 2022.
Gurgen, Emre. The Fountainhead Reference Guide: A to Z (Narrative Version 2nd Edition).
Illinois: AuthorHouse, 2021.
Gurgen, Emre. Don Quixote Explained: The Story of an Unconventional Hero. 2nd ed.
Bloomington: Authorhouse, 2015. Print.
Gurgen, E. Don Quixote Explained: Reference Guide.
Bloomington: Authorhouse, 2014. Print.
Gurgen, Emre. “The Renaissance in the Quijote: How the Spirit of Chivalry, Classicism and
Christianity Bypassed Medievalism and Led to Modernity.” 41st International Symposium of
Hispanic Literature: The Influence of Don Quixote in the Humanities. California State
University, Dominguez Hills. 15 April 2015.
Gurgen, Emre. “How Capitalism Creates Peace in Don Quixote While Feudalism Induces
Violence.” Cervantes: Journal of the Cervantes Society of America. (Submitted for Initial
Review. November 2016).
• Dean’s List (Penn State)
• Sold Don Quixote Explained essay book at the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in Washington DC (April 2014).
• Gerald G. Davis, author of Don Quixote The New Translation, endorsed my Don Quixote Explained essay book.
Newsletter of Cervantes Society of America 2015-2016 (August, 2016)
“Emre Gurgen has established and actively maintained a number of web-based resources dedicated to the study of the Quijote, including a blog with numerous posts, an extensive bibliography, and a variety of materials related to his books, Don Quixote Explained: The Story of an Unconventional Hero and Don Quixote Explained: A Reference Guide. These resources can be accessed at www.don-quixote-explained.com.”
Members Publications and Conference Presentations
“Gurgen, Emre. “The Renaissance in the Quijote: How the Spirit of Chivalry, Classicism and Christianity Bypassed Medievalism and Led to Modernity.” 41st International Symposium of Hispanic Literature: The Influence of Don Quixote in the Humanities. California State University, Dominguez Hills. 15 April, 2015.”
The Objectivist Standard
Journal of Ayn Rand Studies
Chronicle of Higher Education
Present Tense: A Journal of Rhetoric in Society
Jane Austen Society of North America (Persuasions: The Jane Austen Journal)
The Pennsylvania State University B.A. 1999-2002 English
University Park, Pennsylvania
American University M.A. 2006-2007 English Literature
Washington, DC Candidate
11932 Weybridge Lane
Germantown, MD 20876
C: (301) 828-7231
H: (301) 540-1314
SUMMARY: Over 2 years’ of experience as a personal injury legal assistant and legal secretary, with additional administrative experience. Recent experience as a document reviewer and immigration paralegal. Expertise in legal research, drafting pleadings and motions, case file management and analysis, record keeping and data tracking, client interviewing and recommending actions and reviewing documents. Core competencies include efficiency, organization, working well under pressure and deadlines and attention to detail. Professional demeanor, with excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
RELEVANT WORK EXPERIENCE:
Immigration Paralegal 2016
USI Law, Potomac Maryland
Document Reviewer 2015
L Discovery, McClean Virginia
• Redacted health forms
• Used Relativity 9 and Citrix Software
Legal Assistant 2004-2006
DuBoff and Associates, Silver Spring, MD
• Drafted demands, interrogatories and complaints for review by supervising attorney
• Engaged in client intakes and discussed matters with supervising attorney
• Managed litigation files
• Filed Complaints in the appropriate jurisdiction
• Prepared answers to interrogatories for attorneys’ needs
• Prepared deposition notices
• Prepared consent motions, motions to compel, and oppositions to various motions for review by supervising attorney
• Researched cases, decisions, laws, and statutes
• Performed regular administrative duties
Summer Legal Intern 2003
DuBoff and Associates
• Maintained and updated legal case files
• Ordered and summarized Police Reports
• Ordered and summarized Medical Bills
• Documented and calculated lost wages
• Entered data in client disbursement ledger
• Noted Statue of Limitations
• Met all filing deadlines
• Clerical responsibilities
CERTIFICATIONS March 2016
CORE Registered Paralegal (CRP ™) (N.F.P.A.)
Georgetown University, Paralegal Studies Program (Graduate Certificate) 2012-2013
January 22 – December 13, 2013
PARALEGAL PORTFOLIO http://www.apojigo.com/emregurgen
Summary: Conducted thorough research of federal and state statutes, using internet and law
library. Identified and summarized relevant points in primary and secondary
authorities of law. Applied court opinions, statutes, and court rules in writing
recommendations for specific courses of action.
Software: Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
Legal Research: Westlaw, LexisNexis
Citation: Blue Booking
Legal Drafting: Memoranda, Demands, Interrogatories, Complaints, Memoranda of
Law, Memoranda of Points and Authorities, Case Briefs, Legislative
Briefs, Appellate Briefs, Articles of Incorporation, Corporate Minutes,
Languages: Fluent in Turkish (Reading and Writing)
Administrative: Business Memoranda, Client Correspondence, Meeting
Reports, Executive Summaries
Ordered: Medical Bills, Doctors Reports, Police Reports
Lawyer Support: Legal Proof Reading
Substantive Legal Areas: Torts, Contracts, Corporate, Business Organization, Intellectual
Property, Administrative Law
Civil: Litigation, and Trial Procedure
Cases: Reading Cases, Report Books
Legal Ethics: DC Bar
Post Office Mailing: Registered, Certified, Regular Mailing, International
Theoretical Familiarity: PACER, Lotus Notes, I Management, World Docs, Elite, Legal
Key, Compulaw, Prolaw, PeopleSoft, Elite, Juris Suite, Carpe Diem,
Concordance, Summation, Livenet, Time Map, Case Map,
Timeline Maker, Visio, Sanction, Trial Director, Live Note, FileZilla,
The Pennsylvania State University, State College 1998-2002
B.A. in English (December 2002) (GPA 3.5)
Honors: Dean’s List.
Ayn Rand Institute, Irvine, California 2008-2009
American University, Washington, D.C. 2006-2008
M.A. Candidate in English Literature. Credit Hours: (33)
Published Don Quixote Explained: The Story of an Unconventional Hero.
• Sold at the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in Washington, D.C.
• Endorsed by Gerald G. Davis, recent translator of “Don Quixote.”
• Presented at the 41 st International Conference of Hispanic Literatures: (April, 2015) “Don Quixote in the Humanities.”
• Journal Article Pending. Under Review by Cervantes Society of America (May, 2016)
Published Don Quixote Explained: Reference Guide.
ISBN 978-1-4918-7373-1 (June, 2014)